Sunday, June 20, 2010

Leader of the Band




I wrote these lyrics when our son was born. I remember holding him in my arms and wondering how in the world I would ever manage to be the father I'd need to be. (Apologies to Dan Folgelberg)





The Leader of the Band

I gaze into my son's eyes,
the tears begin to flow.
Fear and trepidation,
what will the future hold?

Joshua, the greatest gift
the Lord has placed in my hands.
My prayer is this, that I might be
like the Leader of the band.

I know that he will turn out right.
He'll grow to be a man,
if I can give to him the qualities
of the Leader of the band.

Honesty, integrity,
a pure and loving heart,
these my father gave me,
to my son I will impart.

I gaze into my son's eyes,
asmile comes to my mouth,
I had the finest teacher.
I know how he'll turn out.

My life has been a mere attempt
to imitate the man.
I'm just a living legacy
of the Leader of the band.

To Dad; Father's Day, 1985

No comments:

Post a Comment