Thursday, August 2, 2012

Is Radical Good?

I had a funny exchange with a woman this morning. She asked me the name of the conference the men from our church are going to Saturday. 
"The Radical Conference," I replied. 

Her response caught my attention. "Radical? I don't like being radical." Then she laughed and added, "Yesterday I went to Chick-Fil-A for "Support Chick-Fil-A Day."  That's the most radical thing I've ever done!"

As Arsenio Hall used to say, "Things that make you go hmmm." I began to wonder, is being radical a good thing, or a bad thing?

When I speak of being radical, I'm referring specifically to being radical in my relationship with Jesus. As I grow older, I increasingly believe that following Jesus is meant to be a radical experience. And, as I grow older, I realize that I haven't been a very radical Christ-follower.This bothers me, for I know Jesus calls me to be a radical follower. Consider these words:

"Then he said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me." (Luke 9:23)

"Jesus said to him, "If you wish to be complete, go and sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me." (Matthew 19:12)

"Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all. For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.” (Mark 10:43,44)

A big part of me wants to squirm out of these words by dismissing them as metaphorical, illustrative, or idealistic. But I know I can't worm my way out. Jesus calls me to be radical. Period!

Radical is defined as going to the root, or source of something. It is also defined as departing from the normal and going to the extreme. I'm beginning to understand that Jesus wants to make extreme changes at the very root and source of my being. For as uncomfortable as I am with this, I know it's what is best, for it is what He desires for me. So I guess it's time be radical.

What do you think? Is radical good or bad? 
Leave a comment and share your thoughts.

1 comment:

  1. You DEFINITELY can't worm your way out!!!

    "Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says." - James 1:22

    ReplyDelete