Saturday, July 31, 2010

Mind Control



The cables of Half Dome. I faced them yesterday on a long-awaited hike in Yosemite. If you're not familiar with the cables, they are on the side of Half Dome, placed there so hikers can make it to the top. To say they are intimidating is an understatement.
I found myself on the cables yesterday and was surprised, even stunned at how afraid I was. The ascent on the cables is physically difficult. But I found them even more difficult mentally. The entire way up I had to fight my mind, convincing my hands to release their grip on the cables and forcing my legs to take a few more steps towards the summit. I was amazed at how powerful a negative force the mind can be.
Just a few hours later I was heading down the trail, finishing a 20 mile round trip hike, and I found myself fighting a different battle. This time my enemy was my body. Every muscle begged me to stop. I was exhausted.
As I struggled down the trail I discovered a new ally, my mind. Earlier on the cables my mind encouraged me to stop and give up, now my mind was encouraging me to go forward. "Take another step, keep going, you can do it," my mind repeated over and over. So listened, and I finished.
Same mind. Same brain. Different thoughts. One was a hindrance, the other was a help. In both instances it was a matter of mind control.
Romans 12 says, "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will"
God, please renew my mind. Thanks.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations Jim on this accomplishment: an outstanding achievement. Also ,thanks for the reminder of the importance of renewing our mind as we follow Biblical principles in our daily walk. Love, Dad

    P. S. Now you know what it feels like physically to get in and out of a chair when you are 76 years old.

    ReplyDelete