Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Old Dog, New Tricks

Last Saturday was a monumental moment in world history - I enjoyed my first ever seniors breakfast. Yep, turned 55 just a few weeks ago, which makes me a senior citizen in some places. If that saves me a few bucks on breakfast, I'm all for it.

I'm pleased to announce that at 55 years young I'm having the time of my life. I'm having a blast. A big reason is that I changed careers a month ago and my new job is having me do things I've never done - and I love it. After being a pastor for 30 years, I stepped out of pastoral ministry and joined an awesome ministry called Iron Men's Ministry. The newness of my new job is both challenging and fulfilling. I suspect it's fulfilling because it is challenging. And it's challenging because it's new.

The old saying goes, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks."  Wow, how insulting to old dogs. I'm now officially an old dog and I'm discovering it's never too late to learn new tricks. Not only is it possible to learn new tricks, it's a necessity. Doing something new in life stretches us. New things challenge us. New things add zip to a life that just might be getting a little stale and predictable.

Here's an unsolicited tip from an old dog - try something new in your life. You don't have to change careers. That's just crazy. But shake things up a little. Change your routine. Take up a new hobby. Go back to school. Jump out of an airplane - just don't forget your chute. Try something new.

In 2 Corinthians 5:17, the Apostle Paul says, "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here"

It doesn't matter if you're an old dog or new dog. If you want to experience Jesus, if you want to experience life in the fullest, learn a few new tricks.

If you have an old dog, new trick story from your life, please share it with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment